Voting

Monday, June 13, 2011

Walking the walk

This afternoon after picking Caleb up from day camp, I had a very convicting moment in the car. We were about ready to drive through a green light when 2 teenage boys came flying across the street in front of us, and of course with no helmet. Being a pediatric PT as well someone who is related to several cyclists that have been saved by helmets, I'm kinda neurotic about my kids and their helmets. Never mind that it's ILLEGAL in CA for anyone under 18 to ride a bike without one. But, I digress. Back to my conviction.

"Wow!!!" I exclaimed when I saw them. "What Mama?" Caleb asked (who apparently was staring off into space the other direction). I explained what I saw and very quickly pointed out what a bad choice it was for them to not obey the red light but also to not wear helmets. He proceeds to say, "Ya, Mama, those guys are dummies!" I reply with, "Caleb, that is not kind and we don't call people that even if they made a bad choice." And then I felt the conviction....when I saw them and said "Wow" out loud, what I didn't say was the "What idiots those kids are!" that was running through my head. And less than a minute later I'm chastising my 6 year old for calling them dummies. Good work, mama.

I so easily jump to conclusions about people. What I should have thought was, "Wow, how sad that maybe those kids can't afford helmets" or "How sad that no one has taught them how important helmets are". No, instead I chalk them up as idiots and then tell my son not to call them dummies!

Oh, the things you learn as you parent and aspire to shape a child's heart and character!

3 comments:

  1. Very insightful Julie!! Thanks for sharing. That is a lesson I probably needed as well. Side note - all the neighborhood kids have learned that I am the helmet enforcer. They know that every time I see them without their helmets, I offer to buy them one and tell them how it could save their lives! I think they are sick of hearing me tell them I care about them and their heads!! LOL But, I'll continue to do it anyway because I do care!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. Just what I needed...more conviction today :P Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete