Voting

Saturday, June 11, 2011

EOB Shock!

You may recall my rant about Caleb's illness about a month ago and all the inconsistencies and conflicting information we got. I had commented throughout the post about not even wanting to think about the pretty penny the whole deal was going to end up costing. Ya. REALLY didn't want to think about it.  May I just say that it's never, ever, ever good news when your EOB (explanation of benefits) statements come in a giant manila envelope. When the mail came today, John handed it to me and said, "Um, have we ever gotten THAT kind of envelope from the insurance before? That can't be good!". Well, no, as a matter of fact, we haven't ever gotten that kind of envelope from the insurance.  Usually, we get one or two at a time folded up in a regular envelope. Every now and then 3 or 4 pages will be involved. Today we got FIFTEEN!!! Oh, yes, count them: FIFTEEN!!

Let's just say that it's a really good thing that I can do payroll deduction over as many pay periods as I want because it's going to take a while to pay that all off!!! And to think that we have "good" insurance! Most of what we will have to pay is our deductible and a little more on top of that. I can't imagine having a $5000 deductible or, even worse, having no insurance at all! Wanna know the grand total of 6 hours in the ER for testing and IV fluids? Brace yourself. $3615!!!!! That combined with the $800 hearing test Noah had a couple months ago is gonna hit the pocket book hard! Oh, well.

Now I need to go do yoga or something relaxing so I don't have the heart attack I felt coming on after opening THAT envelope! We can't afford any more hospital bills for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment