Voting

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Make-my-own recipes

This past year, I have started making almost all of my household cleaners. I've been doing it in part to save money but also to have chemical and toxin free cleaners in my home. There are many great "green" and "safe" products out there, but they are much more expensive that making my own!  I wrote a previous post on my laundry detergent and baby wipes so but I really wanted to put my picture on here so I can pin these ideas on Pintrest! I know, I know, total geek!



Laundry Detergent
1 c. Borax
1 c. Super Washing Soda
1 bar Ivory soap, grated

I have been using this for all of my laundry and love it!

Here's another recipe I've been using and LOVING. It's an all purpose spray cleaner that I use on counters, tables, for a quick spill on the tile, etc.

All-Purpose Spray
2 tsp Borax
1 tsp Dr. Bronner's castille soap

Dissolve and gently shake in a 32 ounce spray bottle. 

6 months ago, I bought a 32 ounce bottle of Dr. Bronner's lavender castille soap for about $15.  It's super concentrated and you only need tiny amounts for cleaners. I also use it diluted way down to refill my foaming hand soap dispensers (about 1 ounce of soap to 6-8 ounces of water). Each bottle of the Method  foaming hand soap I was using costs $2.70 (on sale), so getting 25 refills and a whole gaggle of other cleaners out of a $15 bottle of soap saves a LOT of money and a LOT of plastic! 

By way of a disclaimer, I was turned onto Bronner's soap from perusing over on younghouselove.com. Check it out sometime...it's a GREAT site for household projects, decor, cleaning, organizing, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Ok question: someone asked me if the laundry soap didn't dissolve or clean as well in cold water since it wasn't made into liquid. I hadn't noticed. You? Also, someone just mentioned that borax is uber toxic and a threat to kids. Know anything about that? (I dont have time to look it up so asking you and hoping you might now. *cringe*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked it up and found a ton of stuff I'm going to have to week through. CRAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you see my facebook page? It wasnt as much drama as I had thought. Im over it. :) YOU? http://www.crunchybetty.com/getting-to-the-bottom-of-borax-is-it-safe-or-not

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting that link. I found a ton of stuff that all sounded very different and confusing and I just hadn't wanted to sort through it all yet. I feel much better and am reassured that it is still a better option than most cleaners out there. It's always good to look at things I hadn't thought of before! Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete