Voting

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What is the world coming to?

Every once in a while, I am shaken out of my little safe bubble.  Last night after having another wonderful, uninterrupted night of sleep (which, I might add, I could get used to!), I turned on the Today show right as it began. The leading stories were a devastating earthquake in New Zealand, four people in yachts killed by pirates, and worsening unrest in Libya. It took me aback. Don't worry, I won't get up on an "end times" soap box, but I was shaken a bit.

I think that my background having grown up in a third world country (or, I guess I should be PC and call it a "developing country") and having lived blocks away from intense poverty and frequent violence, I am a little more aware of the bubble many of us live in. Sometimes it bothers me that I, too, have become complacent and comfortable living in my little world.  Even though I live a much more modest life than many of my friends, I only have to think for a second about some of my best friends growing up and I realize that I am rich. Yes, we have had our struggles, especially with our little guys health recently, but all in all, I am blessed beyond measure. My heart aches for the millions of people who would give just about anything to have a simple, modest life like mine. It's humbling to think about.

All this unrest and the awful things going on in the world, I am thankful for my safe little world.  But, I will not forget about those who are suffering and I will not stop looking forward to the day my Savior comes back!

No comments:

Post a Comment