Voting

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Finally conquered ranch dressing!

Ok, I realize that sounds like a really silly title, but ranch dressing is something I have tried many times over the years to make from scratch and just never found a recipe that I like. It was always too tangy, too sweet, too runny or too thick. I decided to give it another shot today and tweaked a recipe I found online, added a few things and voi-la! Ranch dressing from scratch the whole family loves!


Ranch Dressing
1/3 c. mayo
1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp (or a little less) salt
1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
fresh cracked pepper to taste
Whisk all the ingredients together and store in the fridge in a sealed glass jar.

The next thing I am going to look into making from scratch is mayonaise. I'm not a big mayo person, but all my boys like it. I read the ingredients on Kraft mayo today and.....ick!!! The first ingredient in every mayo I looked at is soybean oil. Since we are moving towards being a completely soy-free house (I'm becoming rather anti-GMO foods and soy is a huge one), I'm looking into alternatives. I found a safflower oil mayo today that I decided to buy, but it still has some soybean oil in it. So, if anyone out there has any pointers on homemade mayo, send 'em my way!


2 comments:

  1. NICE! I think I could make this work! And mayo is WAYYYYYY easy. If you can do this you will be totally thinking mayo is easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get you a recipe for mayo. I have the dvd's from homestead blessings and there is one where they make mayo I think.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete