Voting

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Happy update

To be totally honest, this week was really hard....for many reasons....but there were  several things along the way that made me stop and be thankful for all the good things going on.  In spite of the time change, I realized that the boys and I have finally settled into a pretty good evening routine. One of the challenges of having a hubby whose primary working hours are in the late afternoons and evenings is that I'm on my own with the boys for dinner bath and bed 4-5 nights a week. Although we have the flip-side blessing of him being around for the morning craziness, evenings with 2 tired boys and a tired mama can be very long.  I've long since realized that a routine is very important. It felt like it took forever after moving to get settled into a routine, but I feel like we're mostly there. Obviously, there are times that evenings are still rough and the routine goes out the window, but it felt really good to realize that we've finally settled into a bit of a groove!

The second thing that we are thrilled about is how well Caleb has responded to his medication. We started him on the lowest dose last week and saw some nice changes but realized we weren't quite there yet.  After re-testing, the doctor recommending upping his dose to the next level. We saw BIG improvements in his focus. His teacher was also impressed with the difference it made. While medicating my child is not something I ever thought I'd do, it is truly pure joy to see him function to the best of his abilities. I really wanted to know how he was feeling about it, so I asked how his body felt now that he's taking this medicine. His response? "My brain feels SO SMART, Mama!". Brought tears to my eyes. We very quickly, though, talked about how his brain was already smart and the medication is just helping him USE the smart part of his brain.

So, there are some of the happy thoughts for the week....more to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment