Voting

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Boys and creativity?

One of the things that, I must admit, I was a bit sad about when I realized I was now the mom of two little boys and no girls, was the thought of missing out on the fun, creative things that girls like to do. You know, crafts, dressing up, etc. Well, I had no idea that boys could be so stinkin' creative too! Here's a little glimpse into my 5 year old's creativity:

He absolutely LOVES to dress up. Before we started getting him superhero costumes, he would come up with the craziest outfits and call them costumes. One of his favorites was his snow boots, jeans, Lightning McQueen fleece hoodie and his bike helmet. Don't ask me why, but this was his absolute favorite "costume" to play in....even if it was 110 degrees outside! He now has an array of costumes that range from store bought action heroes but continues to make his own as well. Rarely do we leave the house without a costume, mask or prop of some sort. Depending on where we go, who we are with or what how he happens to be behaving that day, I am sometimes accompanied on my errands by Bumblebee (the transformer), Iron Man, Batman or Buzz Lightyear. Occasionally it is a fabulous combination of many of the above. I'll let you in on another little secret...it took me some time to be comfortable with letting Caleb traipse around town wearing his superhero protection helmet (aka his bike helmet) or in his sundry of other costumes before I finally realized that it doesn't matter what other people think of my kid! I love it, he loves it so who cares! I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that many people kindly indulge him and comment on how cool he looks or ask what he is (since it's not always obvious!). If there have been any critical people, they've at least had the decency to be quiet about it!

Caleb also loves to make things. For my birthday this year, he decided he wanted to make me a card. Not just a paper card, mind you. He concocted this whole idea to make me a WOOD card. His daddy helped him cut out a piece of wood which he then drew a picture of our family on then a base to stand it on. He even specified that he wanted a groove in the top so that I could put pictures or other cards. It blew me away. It was one of those things that I will never get rid of. See, it may be a 2 by 4 with Sharpie ink on it to most people, but it is a labor of love that made my little dude beam with pride over.

He also loves to make things out of playdough. Most recently, he made an entire "batch" of cookies complete with little individual chocolate chips in them. They are actually still in my refrigerator and I have no idea if I'll ever convince him that he can use the play dough for anything else.

So, even though this only scratches the surface of my little guy's creativity, I won't bore ya'll with all the crazy things he comes up with. I'm going to try to figure out next how to put pictures in my posts to show you some of these fabulous creations.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it!! Great memories, Jules. I can't wait to see pics of his creations, esp. the wooden card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is absolutely wonderful! I love it! I love how creative Caleb is and I love how you foster and allow his creativity-I hope I remember this when Everett wants to go to the store with me dressed up as who knows what!

    ReplyDelete